29/05/2008

On track




Since I started creating the Ice Care project, I’ve been researching about climate change.
I recently came across one of the most interesting PDFs so far. The document was created by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization and World Heritage Convention, and it’s called ‘Case Studies on Climate Change and World Heritage’.



It highlights the effects of climate change in some world heritage locations, in 5 main areas:
. glaciers
. marine biodiversity
. terrestrial biodiversity
. archeologic locations
. historical cities

‘Glaciers’ was the first thing that caught my eye.
The document highlights 5 glaciers at risk:
. Kilimanjaro National Park (United Republic of Tanzania)
. Sagarmatha National Park (Nepal)
. Huascarán National Park (Peru)
. Ilulissat Icefjord (Denmark)
. Jungfrau-Aletsch-Bietschhorn (Switzerland)

Evidently, I was very happy to realize I’m on the right track!
The other 4 glaciers might very well be Ice Care’s next destinations!